Two OPSEU advocates from Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences received recognition last night in Port Hope for their health and safety work. Norma Gunn received a standing ovation when she accepted the Ontario Federation of Labour’s 2012 Occupational Disability Advocacy Recognition award for her work around post traumatic stress disorder. Gunn recently told her story in an Operation Maple video posted in October. The video was shown as part of the awards dinner. Local 331 Chief Steward (and Local President-elect) Patti Lang accepted the Workers Health and Safety Centre Award on behalf of Yvonne Lewis, who was unable to make the event at the last moment due to pressing family concerns. Lewis has been tireless in her fight to reduce incidents of workplace violence at Ontario Shores. Presently the Ministry of Labour is conducting a major investigation at the Whitby-based hospital.
Join 1,551 other subscribers
- Another attack at Waypoint: Action needed NOW
- Grassroots activism is the key to worker health and safety
- The TPP will hurt health care
- Confronting the problem of violence against health workers
- All health care workers matter
- CBS CEO backpedals on paying Canadians for their plasma
- An ounce of prevention: Fighting poverty improves health
- Bloodwatch.org calls out minister over for-profit paid-donor plasma clinics
- Our hospitals are bleeding
- The real trouble with home care
- Why are we risking Canada’s blood supply – again?
- “Care as a relationship” is key to good long-term care: research
- OPSEU fights back against Wynne’s hospital cuts
- Home care: the debate the government wants to avoid
- Where’s Linda Knight now?
- A Different Point of View BLOG
- Advocacy Centre for the Elderly
- All Together Now Campaign (NUPGE)
- Behind The Numbers
- Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives — Ontario Office
- Canadian Doctors for Medicare
- Canadian Doctors for Refugee Care
- Canadian Health Professional Secretariat (CHPS)
- Canadian Obesity Network
- CLC Fairness Works Campaign Site
- Dialogue Back Issues
- Doctors For Fair Taxation
- Dr. Michael Rachlis web site
- Facts & Myths about Medicare Sustainability – CCPA
- False Positive
- Friends of the Ajax-Pickering Hospital
- George Monbiot BLOG
- Health Providers Against Poverty
- Healthy Debate
- Horizons of Friendship
- Leftwords: Defending Public Health Care
- Making Medicare
- Ontario Government Sunshine List
- Ontario Health Coalition
- Ontario Public Service Employees Union
- Operation Maple
- Ottawa May Day Event
- People for Corporate Tax Cuts
- Picking Up The Pieces
- Progressive Bloggers
- Road Trip — Investigating Tim Hudak's plan to cut your wages
- Straight Goods
- Students for Medicare
- The Big Push Campaign
- The Unsocial Media BLOG
- Upstream: Institute for a Healthy Society
- Weighty Matters (Dr. Yoni Freedhoff)
- What Will You Do When I'm Gone?
Congratulations my good friend Norma. You deserved to receive this award by standing up for yourself.
Also to Yvonne who fought so hard to reduce the violence in these workplaces.
congraduations to you Norma.. how wonderful for you..you deserve it..
Two wonderful awards for two extraordinary women and activists. Thank goodness for Diablogue’s publicity and recognition because we know Ontario Shores wont recognize their accomplishments.